"The mission of Polara Health is to provide accessible, compassionate, holistic healthcare that strengthens our community. We are an integrated behavioral healthcare provider with a wide array of holistic programs designed to meet our clients wherever they are on their journey to wellness. We serve more than 7500 children, youth, adults and seniors annually. Polara Health seeks to improve individual and community well-being by addressing the whole person.
The Recreation Therapist, working under the supervision of the Site Manager, completes recreational therapy and activities which meet the physical, mental and psychosocial needs and interests of patients at Windhaven Psychiatric Hospital. The Recreation Therapist works with patients using leisure, yoga and exercise groups, art, dance/movement, music, and other activities as interventions to enhance the patient's mental health, recovery and well-being such that the individual's functioning is remediated and/or restored.
· Plan and develop therapeutic recreation program.
· Develop a monthly calendar and submit to the Site Supervisor for approval.
· Complete detailed and thorough therapeutic/recreational activities assessments to assess patient needs and establish appropriate recreational goals.
· Conduct individual and/or group evidence-based therapy interventions in accordance with established individualized treatment plans for patients with mental and/or behavioral health issues effectively employing principles and foundations of Recreation Therapy
· Order and maintain supplies and equipment, picking up supplies and returning furniture to it's original position after group sessions.
· Facilitate programs and activities that are appropriate to age, development, needs and interests of the individuals served
· Recommend adaptation, modification and/or assistive technology to meet the assessed needs and preferences of the patient in recreation therapy by reviewing medical records, test results, mental health evaluations and making first hand observations.
· Document group sessions and recreational assessments in the electronic medical record in accordance with agency policy and procedure, and/or organizational standards of practice.
· Work collaboratively with the patient, their family members and members of the interdisciplinary team to support the patient ensuring safety is maintained while meeting patient's individual needs.
· Communicate with nursing staff any changes in a patient's status, including medical or behavioral.
· Model appropriate physical and emotional boundaries with patients and co-workers
· Provide emotional support to help clients manage negative symptoms and utilize coping strategies to enhance their quality of life and daily functioning.
· Intervene pro-actively with patients in situations where patients may be escalating emotionally and/or behaviorally using approved non-violent crisis intervention techniques, including the least restrictive interventions appropriate for the situation
· Attend and participate in shift reports, site meetings, and trainings as mandated by agency policy and procedure
· Communicate effectively and promote quality service within a compassionate environment by treating patients and co-workers with respect and dignity
· Help with maintaining a clean and orderly work environment in all patient, staff and facility areas.
· Support a work climate that emphasizes collective team performance and demonstrates Polara Health's core competencies and values.
· Other duties as assigned.
CRITICAL FUNCTIONAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
Education and Experience
· 21 years of age of older
· Minimum qualifications: An Associate's degree in recreation therapy or related field and at least 1 year of experience assisting with recreation activities for physically, mentally, or socially disabled patients within a psychiatric setting that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities
· Preferred Qualifications: 4 Years clinical experience, and/or Bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation or related field
? Must possess a general knowledge of medical diagnoses and appropriate interventions
? Must have strong teamwork, communication and effective time management skills
? Requires the ability to be creative and flexible with groups
? Must be comfortable with facilitating groups of 2-16 participants
? Must demonstrate clinical competencies essential to effective job performance
? Actively participates in performance management and coaching
? Demonstrates respect for consumer confidentiality practices
? Technical, industry specific knowledge about healthcare, behavioral health, therapeutic recreation, and clinical standards of practice.
? Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, time sensitive environment with shifting priorities and multiple deadlines
? Show appreciation for and ability to respond to cultural differences, and adjust communication practices accordingly in order to minimize cross-cultural misunderstandings
? Consistent work attendance and compliance with scheduled work hours (excludes approved FMLA absences)
? Responsible for complying with Polara Health's Corporate Compliance Program as it applies to individual job duties, the department, and the company
? Must comply with all Polara Health policies and procedures
? Exercise due diligence to prevent, detect, and report unlawful and/or unethical conduct by fellow co-workers, professional affiliates and/or agents
? Must have reliable transportation to oversee programming and/or attend trainings and/or meetings
? Display a positive work ethic
? People? - Passionately believes in people and embraces diversity
? Integrity ?-??Does the right thing even when no one is looking
? Learning ?-??Challenges old paradigms with critical thinking, curiosity and creativity
? Accountability? - Sets an intentional culture of personal responsibility; believes everyone carries the load
? Relationships ?- Serves colleagues and consumers with love, empathy and compassion
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical and working demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
? Office environment, travel within the community, as needed
? May be required to wear protective clothing (PPE)
? Annual TB screening per program policy and procedure
? Ability to be physically mobile (stand, walk, reach, climb, bend) and also the ability to sit for prolonged periods throughout work hours
? Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move 25 or more pounds
? Must be able to respond appropriately and effectively in crisis situations by using good judgment and following Polara Health protocols
Employment is contingent on background checks as required by Polara Health's policies which may include: Fingerprint Clearance, Drug Test, Criminal History, Driving History Record, Sex Offender Registry Search, Department of Child Services, State Central Registry Check, Employment Verification, Education Verification, and Professional References
Work Hazard Category
Category II - Work environment that may involve exposure or potential exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues. Appropriate protective equipment will be readily available to every employee engaged in Category II tasks.